Sending Thank You Cards for Gifts
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Thank You Cards and other Greeting Cards topics.
When is it customary to send a thank you note after receiving a gift?
After receiving a gift, do you always wonder if you should send a thank you card or not? While sending a thank you is always a nice gesture, it is not always customary. Here is a guide to help determine when thank you cards are most appropriate and when a simple thank you will do:
- Gifts for special occasions that will only happen once in a lifetime, like weddings, wedding showers and baby showers, should always be followed up with a thank you note.
- Gifts for annual occasions, like birthdays and holidays, do not require a thank you note, but you should always try to thank the person verbally, whether in person or on the phone.
- If you receive a gift in the mail for any occasion, you should send a thank you note to the giver. Since they took the time to send something to brighten your day, you should return the favor.
- For sympathy gifts, a thank you card is nice, but not a necessity. Under the circumstance, people will usually not be offended if you are too occupied to write a note.
- Occasions where gifts are not a requirement, like a get well gift or a just because gift, should be acknowledged with a thank you card. Since the giver was being extra thoughtful, they deserve a nice note saying how much you appreciated the gesture.